Recipe: Zucchini Frittata
This recipe is taken from The Shredded Chef. I’ve included the exact calories and macro-nutrients per serving. You’ll also find the prep time and cooking time from the original recipe. Along with the original ingredients, I’ve also listed what my substitutions were in re-creating the recipe and my reason for doing so.
- Servings: 1
- Prep time: 5 minutes
- Cooking time: 10-12 minutes
- Per serving:
- Calories: 214
- Protein: 31 grams
- Carbohydrates: 8 grams
- Fat: 7 grams
- 1/4 cup onion
- 1/2 cup zucchini, shredded
- 6 egg whites
- 1 large egg
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
Zucchini Frittata Recipe Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350
- Whisk eggs together in a bowl
- Coat an 8-inch oven-proof skillet with cooking spray over medium heat
- Saute onion and zucchini for 2-3 minutes
- Pour eggs over vegetables
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Cook until almost set (6-7 minutes)
- Sprinkle cheese on top
- Bake for 4-5 minutes or until cheese melts
My Recipe Substitutions
- Rather than using actual eggs for the egg whites, I used AllWhites Liquid Egg Whites as I have a consistent stock of it.
- Couldn’t find low-fat cheddar cheese, so I used part skim mozzarella cheese that had the lowest fat content I could find in the cheese section.
- Used a Lodge cast-iron 10-inch skillet instead of an 8″ skillet (a larger skillet makes a less thick frittata)
- I drizzled Tabasco sauce on the finished product
Zucchini Frittata Recipe Review and Potential Enhancements
I like that this is a high protein and low carb recipe, which fits well into my current dietary plan. It was easy to make and required only a few ingredients, which makes this a recipe you can create repeatedly. It can be made even easier if you avoid the baking step altogether and let it set completely on the stove-top. Because I enjoy foods with more varied textures, the next time I make this, I will probably add mushrooms, tomatoes, or jalapeno peppers. I’d also double the amount of onions and sprinkle in some garlic powder because I love to flavor my food heavily with both onion and garlic.
4 thoughts on “Zucchini Frittata Recipe”
Your blog has caught our attention because of the quality of the recipes. We would be delighted if you would join us at http://www.mytaste.com/ so that we could link to it.
myTaste.com is a search engine that compiles the best American cooking sites and blogs from the Internet. Several hundred blogs are already enrolled here and are taking benefit from the traffic we are sending to their sites.
To join myTaste, just go to http://www.mytaste.com/add-your-food-blog
very inspiring,I don’t think I have never been this motivated by watching a few of your views composed of natural beauty.I love to cook and the zucchini dish look delightful,and not to mention all the proteins.today is 8/7 2014 beginning of my assiduous training.thank you Ting Wang.love the body!!!
Wow, superb blog layout! How long have you been blogging
for? you made blogging look easy. The overall look of your site is great,
let alone the content!
Thank you! I built the site on my own and have been blogging since April of this year. I’m glad you enjoy the content!
Comments are closed.