Recipe: Zucchini Frittata
This recipe is taken from The Shredded Chef. I’ve included the exact calories and macro-nutrients per serving. You’ll also find the prep time and cooking time from the original recipe. Along with the original ingredients, I’ve also listed what my substitutions were in re-creating the recipe and my reason for doing so.
- Servings: 1
- Prep time: 5 minutes
- Cooking time: 10-12 minutes
- Per serving:
- Calories: 214
- Protein: 31 grams
- Carbohydrates: 8 grams
- Fat: 7 grams
- 1/4 cup onion
- 1/2 cup zucchini, shredded
- 6 egg whites
- 1 large egg
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
Zucchini Frittata Recipe Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350
- Whisk eggs together in a bowl
- Coat an 8-inch oven-proof skillet with cooking spray over medium heat
- Saute onion and zucchini for 2-3 minutes
- Pour eggs over vegetables
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Cook until almost set (6-7 minutes)
- Sprinkle cheese on top
- Bake for 4-5 minutes or until cheese melts
My Recipe Substitutions
- Rather than using actual eggs for the egg whites, I used AllWhites Liquid Egg Whites as I have a consistent stock of it.
- Couldn’t find low-fat cheddar cheese, so I used part skim mozzarella cheese that had the lowest fat content I could find in the cheese section.
- Used a Lodge cast-iron 10-inch skillet instead of an 8″ skillet (a larger skillet makes a less thick frittata)
- I drizzled Tabasco sauce on the finished product
Zucchini Frittata Recipe Review and Potential Enhancements
I like that this is a high protein and low carb recipe, which fits well into my current dietary plan. It was easy to make and required only a few ingredients, which makes this a recipe you can create repeatedly. It can be made even easier if you avoid the baking step altogether and let it set completely on the stove-top. Because I enjoy foods with more varied textures, the next time I make this, I will probably add mushrooms, tomatoes, or jalapeno peppers. I’d also double the amount of onions and sprinkle in some garlic powder because I love to flavor my food heavily with both onion and garlic.